ECI engages in international policy and advocacy for the integration of national-level ESD programs into global environmental framework programs. Core issues addressed include REDD+, climate change, water, sanitation and hygiene, education for sustainable development, energy policy, the green economy, and children’s environmental health. One example is the UN-REDD+ mechanism that seeks to reduce global greenhouse gas emissions from deforestation and forest degradation. A recent paper outlining this position can be found here.
Specifically, ECI focuses on:
- Influencing global environmental governance and engaging in policy platforms to advocate for children’s rights and participation;
- Acknowledgement of the rights, needs and capacities of children and young people;
- Encouraging parties to engage with children as active stakeholders in national and global action; and
- Incorporation of effective measures and mechanisms that lead to the realization of these rights.
ECI’s role in International Policy and Advocacy
- ECI is a civil society observer to the UNFCCC, serving as a member of the Youth NGO (YOUNGO) constituent group.
- ECI is an associate to UN-DPI
- ECI is a convener of International and National workshops, events and consultations
Policy and Advocacy Events
Below are a list of recent events ECI participated in to promote child and youth advocacy and policy participation:
- Side event at the UN High Level Meeting on Youth
- Side events at the UN Commission on Sustainable Development (CSD 18, 20)
- Side event at UNFCCC COP’s 15 and 16
- International Children’s Conference, Brasilia, Brazil, Let’s Take Care of the Planet
ECI Published Policy Papers
ECI is a think tank for influencing global environmental governance through a series of published policy papers
- United Nations Framework on Climate Change Convention Article 6 stakeholder group inputs under the Amended New Delhi Work Programme
- Recognizing Children as Essential Stakeholders for Climate Resilience and Sustainable Development in the CIF
- The Power of One Child + One Tree: Building the Investment Case for Integrated Action Toward A Sustainable Future for All
- Climate Change Take Action Now: A guide to supporting the local actions of children and young people, with special emphasis on girls and young women